THE POWER OF THE PROCESS
Besides People and Technology, effective Processes and Workflows are the essential element necessary for the success of any business. In the design, engineering and manufacturing industries today, the most sought after ideals are ‘BIM’ and ‘PLM’.
There has long been a desire to see the management of projects fully integrated end-to-end using information technology from initial concept through design to construction or manufacture, then everyday use, management, maintenance and eventual demolition or scrapping. With current enabling technologies, such project processes are now a reality.
Known as ‘Building Information Modelling’ (BIM) in the case of buildings, process plants, mines, utilities and infrastructure, and ‘Product Lifecycle Management’ (PLM) in the case of manufactured products, these processes form a reliable basis for coordination, collaboration and decision making throughout that item’s lifecycle, from conception to end of life.
Neither BIM nor PLM is ‘CAD’ or a software application (or even range of applications), but rather a methodology and processes – underpinned by appropriate technology – that benefit all stakeholders involved in the project regardless of discipline, including designers, engineers, builders and manufacturers, construction crews, owners, asset managers, maintenance teams and commercial operators.
MODENA OneSolve APPROACH TO BIM and PLM
Modena OneSolve understands that many organisations currently do not fully understand what BIM or PLM is, whether they are potentially ready to execute BIM/PLM projects, or how best to prepare for BIM?PLM. Modena is the only consulting organisation in Africa that specialises in helping clients to implement BIM/PLM methodologies. To assist clients to get to grips with the potential of these methodologies and what is needed for successful implementation, Modena offers a series of consulting engagements:
- ‘Are You Ready for BIM/PLM?’ A free one-hour orientation presentation for an entire team.
- ‘Modena BIM/PLM Preparedness Workshop’ A one-day introductory workshop for Leadership and Management.
- ‘Modena BIM/PLM Preparedness Audit’ A two or three-day cross-company BIM preparedness assessment.
- ‘Modena BIM/PLM Planning Workshop’ A one or two-day workshop for Leadership and Management culminating in a comprehensive Implementation Plan.
- ‘Modena BIM/PLM Kick-Off Workshop’ A one-day alignment and orientation workshop for an entire team.
WHY? – THE BUSINESS CASE FOR BIM AND PLM
The objective of using BIM is to collaborate and share information, thereby enabling on-time and on-budget project delivery and improved operation, management and maintenance thereafter. The benefits of BIM and PLM span the entire facility lifecycle from initial concept, through detailed design and manufacture/construction, to operation and asset management, refurbishment and expansion. Benefits are enjoyed by all project stakeholders: Architects, Designers, Engineers, Contractors, Fabricators, Manufacturers, Developers, Owners and Operators.
OVERALL BIM AND PLM PROJECT BENEFITS
Research by Dodge Data & Analytics, 2015
- Better Design Solutions
- Reduced Errors and Omissions in Construction Documents
- More Client Involvement and Improved Understanding
- Reduced Number of Field Coordination Problems
- Reduced Rework
- Better Collaboration with Other Project Team Organisations
- Reduced Contractor Information Requests
- Reduced Construction Cost (Potentially 25% to 30%)
- Better Cost Control / Predictability
- Improved Safety
- Reduced Overall Project Duration